Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Drink this

I don't have anything significant to report aside from some drink suggestions. These are my two favorite non-alcoholic drinks right now.

1. Iced tea brewed with one Assam tea bag and one lemon tea bag. I got all this tea from Jeff for our anniversary in November. I'm not a huge fan of flavored black teas when they're hot, but combined with regular black tea and iced = super.

2. This one is not new, but I am still loving it as much as ever. Plain seltzer with a little bit of fruit concentrate added. I had been buying flavored seltzers, but then it turned out that some flavors taste like ass-perteme and that was no good, so I'm just sticking to the plain and flavoring it myself.

Here is a lesson in knowing what you can handle. I know my tummy usually rebels when I eat food from carts on the street. I don't know why this is. I don't actually think I want to know why this is. Today a coworker's meal from a cart smelled really good and he said it does not upset his tummy so I thought what the hell! That cart is right outside! How bad can it be? I need to get this on a cross-stitch to hang in my cubicle: Stay away from the cart food. What my tummy has to say about the cart food: gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.

Jeff is away for a few days. I can't say specifically what it is about his going away on business trips that I enjoy so much, just that I crave this time by myself. I don't even do anything that I wouldn't do while he's home. I just like it. It doesn't mean I wish he'd leave or anything like that. I just need the time alone. I can't explain it. It has nothing to do with him and everything to do with me.

A person might say, "but what is it that you can't do when he is home?" It's not that there is anything (except maybe reading in bed past 11pm). I just like the option every now and again, I guess? He comes home tomorrow, so I fully intend to read in bed until 11:30. I know, wild and crazy am I.

4 comments:

David said...

When my wife's away on biz-ness (which she is at the moment, as well), I tend to watch a lot of concert DVD's cranked at full volume. DMB, Wilco, Ani. And that's a lot of fun for a day or two, but then I miss the conversations. Because the ones I have with myself just aren't as interesting. I think I need a dog.

Erica S. Maniez said...

I love me-time, alone in the house. I think it has to do with being freed from the day to day coordination with another person... I especially enjoy eating like a single person again for a short time period.

All this is much more difficult to achieve when there are two children in the picture and the idea of your co-parent leaving for anything longer than an hour and a half makes you clutch them around the ankles...

Unknown said...

It may also be the luxury of knowing that everything will be where you left it. I miss being able to find things I've misplaced simply by tracing my steps.

The quiet can be nice in measured doses as well.

Chelle said...

Ooo, the quiet! That's what I like. And the independence of being able to decide what to do and when to do it without compromising or having to think about someone else. Hope you enjoy it!