Saturday, January 12, 2008

Italian restaurant in London

me: What does this mean
"risotto to your choice"?

waiter: You can have it however you like.

me: Okay. I'd like artichoke hearts...

waiter: (shakes head) No.

me: Um, okay. What are the choices?

waiter: Mushrooms...
(long pause)

me: Uh huh, what else?

waiter: Vegetables.

me: What kind?

waiter: Mixed vegetables.

me: Okay, you know what, I'll just get the tagliatelle with mozzarella and fresh tomatoes.

waiter: I'm sorry to be difficult, madame, but artichokes, they do not go with risotto.

Whatever dude. Then have a list of options. The dish I received was delicious, but it was linguine.

We are now winding down our tour of London's pubs that serve cask ales. We went to one particularly famous one today where I was told I could sit on the last empty stool next to the governor. I then heard someone else address him as Mayor. I asked him what was his beer of choice and he said he prefers a light one when on duty. Duty for what, I have no idea.

No comments: